Quick Answer: To clear background apps on your iPhone, double-click the home button or swipe up from the bottom of the screen on newer models to access the app switcher. Then, swipe left or right to navigate through the open apps. Finally, swipe up on each app to close them and clear them from running in the background.
Introduction: Hey there iPhone users! Have you ever noticed that your iPhone can sometimes feel a bit sluggish or the battery drains faster than usual? Well, one possible reason could be the multitude of apps running in the background. These apps may be consuming valuable system resources without you even realizing it. But worry not! In this article, we’ll show you how to clear background apps on your iPhone, giving your device a much-needed performance boost and potentially extending your battery life. So, grab your iPhone and let’s dive right into it, shall we?
How to Clear Background Apps on iPhone
If you’ve noticed that your iPhone is running slower than usual or your battery life is draining quickly, it might be time to clear out your background apps. Background apps are applications that continue to run even when you’re not actively using them, consuming valuable system resources and impacting device performance. In this guide, we’ll explore the various methods available to clear background apps on your iPhone and optimize its overall performance.
Why Should You Clear Background Apps?
Clearing background apps on your iPhone can offer several benefits, including:
1. Improved performance: Background apps consume system resources, including CPU power and memory. By closing unused apps, you free up these resources, resulting in smoother and faster iPhone performance.
2. Extended battery life: Background apps can drain your battery quickly, especially if they continuously fetch data or update in the background. Closing these apps helps conserve battery power and ensures your device lasts longer between charges.
3. Reduced data usage: Some apps may use your cellular data while running in the background, leading to unexpected data usage. Closing unnecessary background apps can help you avoid excessive data charges.
Method 1: Manually Clearing Background Apps
The easiest way to clear background apps on your iPhone is by manually closing them from the app switcher. Here’s how to do it:
1. On newer iPhones (iPhone X and later), swipe up from the bottom and pause in the middle of the screen. On older iPhones, double-press the home button.
2. This action will open the app switcher, showing the thumbnails of your recently used apps.
3. Swipe left or right to navigate through the apps and locate the app you want to close.
4. Swipe the app window up and off the screen to force close it.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for any additional apps you want to close.
Method 2: Using Settings to Close Background Apps
You can also close background apps through your iPhone’s settings. This method is particularly useful when you want to close multiple apps at once. Follow these steps:
1. Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone’s home screen.
2. Scroll down and tap on “General.”
3. Scroll further down and select “Background App Refresh.”
4. Here, you’ll see a list of all the apps currently allowed to run in the background.
5. To disable background app refresh for all apps, toggle off the “Background App Refresh” switch at the top of the screen.
6. Alternatively, you can individually toggle off the switch for specific apps that you want to prevent from running in the background.
Method 3: Restarting Your iPhone
Restarting your iPhone is another effective method to clear background apps. This action closes all running processes, including background apps. Here’s how you can restart your iPhone:
1. Press and hold the power button (located on the side or top of your iPhone) until the slide to power off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider to the right to turn off your iPhone.
3. Wait for a few seconds, then press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
4. Release the power button, and your iPhone will boot up.
Method 4: Enabling Low Power Mode
Enabling Low Power Mode is an effective way to limit background app activity and conserve battery life. When enabled, Low Power Mode automatically reduces or disables certain features on your iPhone, including background app refresh. Follow these steps to activate Low Power Mode:
1. Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on “Battery.”
3. Toggle on the “Low Power Mode” switch.
Method 5: Updating Your iPhone’s Software
Keeping your iPhone’s software up to date is crucial for optimizing performance and fixing any known issues. Software updates often include bug fixes and performance enhancements that can help clear background apps. Here’s how to update your iPhone’s software:
1. Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on “General.”
3. Select “Software Update.”
4. If an update is available, tap “Download and Install.” Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
Clearing background apps on your iPhone is essential for maintaining optimal performance, extending battery life, and reducing data usage. By implementing the methods described in this guide, you can easily clear background apps and enhance your overall iPhone experience. Experiment with different methods and find the one that works best for you. Remember to regularly clear background apps to keep your iPhone running smoothly and efficiently.
iPhone 13's & 14's: How to Close Background Running Apps (Close Completely)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I clear background apps on iPhone?
To clear background apps on iPhone, follow these steps:
Can I close all background apps at once on iPhone?
No, you cannot close all background apps at once on iPhone. However, you can close them individually or use the App Switcher to swipe through the apps and close them one by one.
If you have an older iPhone model without a home button, you can still close background apps. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle to access the App Switcher. Then, swipe left or right to find the app you want to close and swipe it up and off the screen to close it.
Will closing background apps improve my iPhone’s performance?
Closing background apps may not necessarily improve your iPhone’s performance. iOS is designed to efficiently manage background apps, and closing them manually may even result in slower performance as the system needs to reload the apps when you open them again.
Why do some apps continue running in the background even after I close them?
Some apps may continue running in the background, even after you close them, to provide services like playing music, tracking your location, or updating in the background. These apps are optimized to use minimal resources and shouldn’t significantly affect your device’s performance.
Is there a way to prevent an app from running in the background on iPhone?
Yes, you can prevent specific apps from running in the background on iPhone. To do this, go to Settings, tap on the app you want to manage, and disable the “Background App Refresh” option. This will prevent the app from updating or refreshing its content in the background.
To clear background apps on your iPhone, simply double-click the Home button or swipe up from the bottom of the screen (on iPhone X or later models) to access the app switcher. Then, swipe left or right to find the app you want to close and swipe it up off the screen. This will effectively clear the app from running in the background. By doing this, you can improve your device’s performance and optimize battery life. So, the next time you want to boost your iPhone’s efficiency, remember to clear background apps.